Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day on the track - 5/30/11



Just after sunrise, my car was the only one in the stadium parking lot among the thousands of spaces. Walking out on to the Dean A. Hayes track, I saw the track was wet, not because of rain, but because of the sprinkler system. The sun was shining bright at 6:35 am, temperture already 71º.

It took me longer to get ready today, because after my warmup, I had to tape my feet before putting on the spikes, and then had to retape them due to some discomfort. Sprint shoes are never 'comfortable.'

Long sprints at 80-90% effort:

800m warmup, drills

spikes on

2 x 400m - 60 (30,30) 62 (30,32)
2 x 300m - 47, 48
3 x 200m - 27.5, 28, (spikes off) 31

Like yesterday, that was 2000m of sprints. That seems to be a good number when planning a workout. After the second 400m, I felt I'd be lucky to do anything, but I seemed to get a second wind and the second 300 didn't seem so hard. When I run these long sprints I play this game I call 'walk the rope'. I run directly on the line, trying to keep my stride perfectly aligned to straight.

I've decided it will be impossible for me to get to the track on Wed, Thurs, so I plan on a day like yesterday, resistance, plyos, maybe a jog. Maybe tomorrow, I'll do stadium stairs in the heat of the day, I have to teach the next 3 mornings at 8 am. I really don't want to teach a 3 hr class after a workout. The weather is an issue, it's supposed to be bright and sunny in the mid 90ºs all week - which means over 100º if you happen to be in the sun.

No sign of injury or strain. I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment