Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chattanooga District Senior Games


Well, it was pretty much like I expected. Old guys running sprints from standing starts, very few people had track spikes. Check out the photo of my 'competitors.'

McCallie private school has incredible athletic facilities. The track is excellent and when I saw it, I really wanted to run the 100m. After a few starts, I felt the quad bothering me again so I went back to 'plan A' to just run the 400m.

This race was hand-timed and my 'official time' was 57.00. A friend of a friend on the sidelines had me in 57.58. Anyway, I knew I wasn't 100% but considering I won the race by about 80m, 11 seconds ahead of my nearest competitor, I had little competitive inspiration. So, not a PR, but ok under the circumstances.

There was this one guy shouting at me while I was lining up in my starting blocks ... "who is this guy? Has anyone checked his birth certificate?" I yelled back at him, "I'm going to be 51 and I could have raced here last year."

One old guy told me that a few years ago in this meet, they started the 100m from the wrong place... and people were running 90m and getting timed and credited as if they were running 100m.

A lot of weird things can happen in these hand-timed track meets. A case in point....


Maybe it's my competitive spirit but I have to say, I met the subject of one of my pet peeves... a person credited with running a time that was impossible ... and I wouldn't say that if I weren't 100% certain. Looking at the meet results from last year, a woman by the name of Cheryl Shouse was given credit on the results sheet of the Chattanooga District Meet of running a 12.79 100m. She was there today and came up to me after my race. She boasted about her "record time" ... although never said what record. (TN does not maintain Masters T&F records, only State Senior Games Meet records). I told her I saw that in the results and it didn't square with other times she ran. She cited health problems and the fact her 200m was so slow (37.66) was 'because she trained only for the 100m.' To put it in perspective, this person ran an official FAT time of 17.05 in the Senior Games Finals of the 100m. If her 12.79 time were correct, she'd be the highest ranked woman in America. To put it in perspective, in 2010, the second ranked women in the world in this age group ran 12.82.

Those that train to get the results we earn don't like such errors. This was the result of one person who was late to hit the button on a stop watch after the gun, or a clerical error. I hope this person doesn't continue to claim credit for this time. The state Senior Games record for W50 100m is 15.12. One second in a 100m sprint is like a lifetime - a 10 meter difference ... 2.5 seconds is like comparing a world record holder with a below average high school sprinter.

I need to really take 2 days off from running and beginning Saturday, start high rep resistance work to bring this quad back up to shape. This has been a reoccurring annoyance, plaguing me since the indoor season.









6 comments:

  1. Her potential remains to be seen. I'll pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only someone with a big ego devotes time and energy to creating and maintaining web sites about his accomplishments. Since all you could do was dis Chattanooga athletes, why don't you stay in Nashville and play some crying music on your instrument? Chattanooga doesn't need your poor attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The REAL story is that she came up to you inside the track to congratulate you on your 400M sprint time. After she introduced herself you launched into a tirade about how impossible you thought her 2010 sprint time was for the 100M. You were such a whiney and impolite ass she had to walk away. You were so worked up you might have stroked out right there on the field.
    Anyone that knows Cheryl knows that she is an encouraging well-balanced individual and unlike yourself- not a braggart. Any new participant is unlikely to be aware of the different timing methods utilized in Senior Olympics. Some of us are involved for the sheer benefit and pleasure of participation. We don’t have to be the #1 finisher or criticize other athletes to feel good about ourselves. Does your big ego get in the way of providing good instruction to your students at MTSU? I am surprised that a person with your level of education is so quick to run his mouth indiscriminately and set yourself up for charges of defamation.
    As a FYI, Cheryl had major surgery in March of 2011, therefore a reasonable person would not expect her to participate or perform at peak level during her recovery period. Are your panties still in a wad? Sprint forever- in your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not unpleasant to Cheryl. I smiled when she told me she ran a 12.79 100m and I said "wow, did you!!??" Then, I told her that I saw it on the sheet and was wondering how that was possible and that it did not square with her other times, not even remotely close. It was never heated. In my post, I was refering to the 2010 final results, not the 2011 results that occurred after the date you gave regarding her surgery.

      This is so totally unimportant to me. I'm sorry I even wasted time on it. It's just really a matter of principle and honesty.

      I hope Cheryl has recovered from surgery and will again enjoy being a part of athletic competition. I wish her and all my competitors the very best. The Senior Olympic is not a high priority meet on my schedule and I may not do it again, but I am very grateful for all those that contribute to making it possible.

      Regarding your other comments on this bog... This blog has nothing to do with bragging about accomplishments. It is about a lifestyle. I train five days a week 9+ months a year and the gains from the journey are far greater than any medals or rewards that I may receive. On my recent blog post - I DID NOT even mention I won 2 Golds and a Silver Friday night, but I did mention the notable achievement of a fellow athlete.

      Track is a pure sport whereby luck and circumstance play almost no role. Acheivement is earned by hard work. That is what this blog is about, that journey of hard work and discipline.

      Delete
    2. Maybe the anonymous person could explain what (s)he meant by "different timing methods utilized in Senior Olympics."

      Time is time. Either it is accurate or it is not.

      Delete
  4. I stand by what I said. This person did NOT run a 12.79. She was a victim of a poorly timed event or a clerical error. This may not be her fault.

    To show you how outlandish this claim/error is... the #2 ranked sprinter in THE WORLD for women 50-54 in 2010 was 12.82 - Nicole Alexis of France - second only to track legend Merlene Ottey - winner of 6 Olympic medals and 6 world championships. Cheryl is claiming she in the same league with these people?

    Here are the USATF NATIONAL MASTERS CHAMPIONS and their times in the 100m for the last 2 years in the Womens 50-54 age group.

    2011 - Kathleen Shook - 14.20
    2010 - Amanda Scotti - 13.85

    I regret my accusatory tone in the post and will go back and amend it. I do stand by the substance of what I said.

    ReplyDelete