Sunday, May 8, 2011

6 days to rehab the quad strain

I'm required to run the 100m and the 200m in the Nashville District Senior Games meet on 5/14 in order to qualify for the State Finals. I don't have to win, place, or run any qualifying mark, just participate. I could jog... but that would be hard to do in the face of competition.

The quad strain is not bad. Hell, I ran a 57 sec 400m with it. However, the 100m is different. My plan was to start resistance (light - 25 rep minimum) on Sat and do running workouts today - Sun, Tues and Thurs, compete Sat. But... the strain is still there, but better. So, I've modified my plan. I started resistance work Sat but I will do at least one set every day, including running days. I'll be using the neoprene sleeve to tightly wrap to quad when running as I did today if I think I'll need it.

Today:

(in training shoes)

half mile jog, drills

2x300m uphill sprints at 60% on the street

resistance bands: one set this morning, one later today.

Lovely day in Sewanee. Ran my warmup through the woods to the lake. Did my warmup drills on a forest trail under big pine trees.

I really hate taking days off, I feel like I lose fitness everyday I'm idle. I think I'm going to start lap swimming on days off from running. My pool will be heated this week and it is supposed to be in the 90s, so I can use the pool for resistance exercises for my legs, although too small for laps, front leg whips in the water really work the quad.

I doubt I'll get much quality speed work this week. Maybe by Tues evening I can run some 200s on the track without 'feeling the quad'.

Last FAT time opportunity is in Huntsville in 2 weeks. Hope to do the 100m and 200m.


No comments:

Post a Comment