Thursday, September 29, 2016

rower

The cross training begins.  I did intervals on the concept 2 rower tonight.  Putting my feet high in the stirrups put no stress on my forefoot and gave the glutes a good pump.  Foot feels much better now with 3 days off the track, only one track day in 6 days now.  (But before that, I did 6 of 7 days which was too much - Sept 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23).   Still, I can feel an occasional burning sensation but its not constant and I can walk normally without pain.

Hoka trainers on 
Concept 2 rower: 
10 x 500m w/ 2 min rest  - 2 min / ~ 38 spm

I see the doc tomorrow.  The main agenda is to evaluate the extent of my plantar plate / mtp joint damage.   I'm about 90% sure it's not worse than moderate, but that doesn't mean it's ok.  If I tear it completely, that is serious.  (Possible surgery, cast, out 6 mo.).   The reason I don't think it's a serious tear is that I can do a heal raise on that foot with no pain.  I could not do that 2 days ago.  I think if I can get maybe 2 or 3 good track workouts this coming week beginning as early as this weekend, and dive back in for my last 2 weeks before Perth, I might be able to pull it off.  I think I have a decent enough base to do it but will be handicapped since I won't be able to do much top speed work with spikes.

I have a hand timed race in 17 days on (10/16), and I'll make the final determination after that.  I was going to race both the 200 and 400, but probably just the 400.

I called USADA today about filing a TUE for prednisone use.   I may ask for an oral anti inflammatory steroid pack to have in case I need it when I return to the track.  I probably will.  It helped my right foot when I needed it last June.

The only good thing about this injury is that I still have time.  If this happened 2 weeks from now, it would be over.  It might still be, but I'm going to give it a shot.  It would be so easy to sit on my ass and eat pastry, and give it up.  But... that team USA speed suit and team kit is sitting on my dining room table and is the first thing I see when I walk in.

No comments:

Post a Comment