Saturday, September 24, 2016

metatarsalgia

This soreness in my left foot is metatarsalgia - pain at the ball of the foot. After two consecutive days on he track Thurs and Fri, it has become enough of a problem I may interrupt my training schedule and take Sunday off.  Better to go light this coming week, do some cross training and let this thing heal so I can put 3 hard weeks of training in before Perth in Oct.

Including last Saturday's race, I've been training 6 of the last 7 days, and I'm starting to wear down. Actually, my usual right foot pain has been ok, a bit better.  This new issue has come up the past few weeks.  Probably just an arthritis issue.  I don't think it's a stress fracture because the pain is not sharp or intense.  It is more caused by extreme dorsiflexing the toes rather than just weight bearing.  But it does hurt to do heel raises in bare feet, so I'd better stay off my feet tomorrow and just do resistance bands.   Don't want this to become something that will prevent me from training when I need it most.  Training is painful enough, don't need any extra pain.  Probably wouldn't hurt to see Dr. Willard.

I ordered a forefoot pad that should help with this along with some strengthening and stretching exercises.

3 comments:

  1. SEE DR WILLARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still running in those Sauconys? Tell ya', a while after the break-in period on mine, something just wasn't right with them and I literally tossed them (and I'm still blaming my Achilles injury last year on them too...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. Hoka Cliftons are my trainers. Foot feeling better tonight. Went to the track, warmed up and did some backward running on grass

    ReplyDelete