Saturday, September 17, 2016

miserable day

I should have checked the radar before I left.  A solid 2+ hrs of rain, heavy at times, started by about 9:30 am and proceeded up to race time.  I ran poorly, didn't really warm up and failed to execute.  I rigged in the last 40m and didn't save enough.  I fell apart at the end, badly.   Finished in 57.1(h) and promptly left the scene feeling bad.

If I had known it was going to be so shitty, I may have skipped it.  I certainly would not have taken my good spikes and Team USA world meet uniform.  But the weather was not to blame for my poor performance, it was me.  I had run 55.78 (FAT) on that track 2 months ago.  I knew I was in trouble when I hit the 200m mark and felt more tired than I should have.   If I had executed, or even warmed up a bit more, I probably would have been about 56 in my present level of fitness, however, I still have work to do.  It was a good taxing workout.

Also, inexplicably ... I was 2 lbs heavier than I like to race at, 145.5.   Less sugar, more protein.

Wake up call
If I am to medal in Perth, I need to get lean, mean, and conditioned ... which means more foundation, more strength, more speed work, and race modeling.   Something almost every day.  I think my track workout schedule is going to be 4 days a week.  I may need to do 2 days consecutive occasionally to avoid events at the stadiums, but really, I can train every day except Wed.   Can train Thurs in the dark at MTSU.  Don't want to wear myself out, must leave the last week for tapering.

Happy I still have 5 1/2 weeks of training to go.  If I get a workout in the day I leave on Thurs, I will be idle for 3 days until racing starts Monday.  

My leave request for both Perth and Daegu was signed yesterday by my boss.  Good news.

Last meet
Sunday, October 16, will be my last meet before Perth.  The Chattanooga Dist. has finally announced and they will be staging at GPS school which is a decent blue track.   I really need to have a good meet then, 11 days before I leave.

UPDATE:
Guess I shouldn't feel too bad, the M55 British Masters Nationals was won today in 57.56 ... by more than a second.  The M55 200m was more impressive - 24.47 (Logan), 24.68 (Huskisson), and 25.59 (Ilo) were the medalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment