Thursday, June 28, 2012

Same stuff but earlier

This is the first day of the heat wave and the last cool morning.  I was up at 4:20am and on the Dean Hayes track at 4:50, it was a pleasant 65º.   The sprinklers were on and part of the track was wet.   I was slightly sore from yesterday's stair sprints.
450m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
3 x 600m - 1:46, 1:49, 1:45 
300m - 45.5 
I ran the first one easy and really busted the last 100m of the final 600.   I was suprised that I ran a 45 300m afterward, about a 61 400m pace.

My 600m goal pace is generally about 17 sec 100s for the the first 400m + 18 sec for last 2; that is when I'm doing 3 or more.

For quality speed work, my benchmark interval times for 90% effort - (when I'm doing just one, or a few with full recovery, or ladder down intervals), I can keep even 17 sec 100 splits in a 600m.  With 500s, it'll be 16 sec 100s, 400s - 15 sec 100s, 300s - 14 sec, 200s - 13 sec.   Event runs and race speed is of course, even faster.

I will go to 500s next week after a day or 2 off.   It's hard to imagine racing in 2 weeks but that is the schedule.   If this ham doesn't improve by late next week, I may have to scratch.  But my workouts are on schedule and I may run even though I'll never have a chance at a PR.  If I could run under 57 in 2 weeks, I'd be happy.  The Masters Nationals start 5 weeks from today.

Inventory:  The ham is only slightly better.   This is an injury of a different color I have not experienced before.   It does not hurt to run 14-15 sec 100s right now, but anything faster would be painful.  It feels like a deep tendon issue rather than a muscle.

Weight: 143.4 after workout.  I'm starting to melt away the fat although I've got a ways to go.   Last night I screwed up and ate 2 large pieces of leftover rum cake with an espresso for dinner.  I gave up on the paella and put it in the freezer.  I hope to have my race body back on in a week or so.


It's ok, because for the upcoming week, I'll be living off lots of homegrown tomatoes, raw and sautéed with zuchinni, onions, garlic; protein shakes, and fish.    Very low cal and carb.   Replacing the sugary sweet tea with limeade & stevia.

Sunrise - after 3 x 600m

No comments:

Post a Comment