Sunday, June 10, 2012

Game over ... again

Same left hamstring.  100m.

Now that it is chronic, this is a serious enough injury that it will end any further attempts to race this month .... and no more 100s for the remainder of the season.

Five weeks since the injury in the last 100m race, I should not have run the 100m today.  If I am to race at Nationals, it will be the 400 and maybe the 200.  It is seven weeks away, so that should be enough time.

This is probably the most serious injury I've ever sustained as a sprinter since it is a repeat injury of the same hamstring.   This may have been even worse as I felt a definite pop 60m into the race, unlike the previous that felt more like a cramp after 90m.   I had a great start, was clearly leading a fast heat of several, and then I felt it and pulled up.  Everything was going so well.   The new shoes felt great, the new start really worked, then .... disaster.   The pain is more than last time and I sit here now on ice.  I think it is more serious than the pubalgia injury since I could run with the pubalgia despite some pain, this - not.  

Yes, I'm pretty pissed.   I've been pretty dedicated this season since the last injury on 5/5.

Looking back - the ham injury of last season was on the right.  It never came back (never reoccured).   I injured my right ham last season on March 26.   I started racing again four weeks later with a 400 on April 23. I ran 2 more 400s and a 200 before I returned to the 100m (seven weeks after the injury) on May 14.   I ran 5 more 100s after that without incident.    I really love the 100m and will miss it.   I never realized my 100m potential this season - my only FAT time this season was a PR: 12.17.   I was excited today about running the 100.   The 400... notsomuch.

I wonder, what am I doing different that may have caused this?  The only thing I can think of is I have not been running stairs as much.  Perhaps my rehab period was not long enough.   Now I'm pretty much screwed.   Injuries like this take time to assess.  I'm not clear on how bad it is.   Last time I was out for a week from the track.  This time may be longer.

It's been a great season, whether it continues or not.  But, I think I have just enough time to heal and do a good strong 5 week training cycle that will prepare me to race the 400m and 200m at Nationals.

We'll see.   Signing off here for a while.   Going to enjoy my spring and summer with Iska, be a guitarist, build a tree house for Myers, do some boating and hiking, etc...

Cheers.


4 comments:

  1. What is interesting is that I've been doing some full 95% 100m sprints in practice with no strain whatsoever - under 13 sec. There is a really a clear difference between 95% and full-out. Sustained 'full-out' sprint must stress the musculature in ways unlike any other situation. In a 400m, I can blast 100% for 50m to top speed and back off to 98% and cruise rather 'safely' in regard to injury. Plus I think running the curve shortens and slows the motion. Not like the 100 ... it's a flat-out peddle-to-the-metal drag race. It's definitely different. Hard on the body but feels wonderful when everything works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. and with greater overall body power you will stress weak links more. this is exactly right "Sustained 'full-out' sprint must stress the musculature in ways unlike any other situation" - it follows then, that some training into that zone is required - which risks injury. jp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't be sorrier but tell you what .... If you're going to 'hang in', so will I. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete