Wednesday, January 11, 2017

quality 300s / tempo 200s

Much warmer today at Sewanee, 57º and windy, wet track from morning rain.  It didn't feel warm because of the clouds and wind, though it was certainly t-shirt weather.   This workout was not huge but it was hard since I started feeling a bit under-the-weather last night, a tad warm.  My heart rate this morning was elevated, in the 70s when it's usually in the 50s.
Hoka Clifton 3 trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
300m - 42.5 (27.5 / 15) 
Puma spikes on 
300m - 41.2 (26.5 / 14.7) 
Hoka trainers on 
4 x 200m w/ 1 min rest - 30.5, 31.5, 33.5, 32
I wanted to put the spikes on for one quasi event run.  Just a shade over 41 at 300m, that would be about 57 pace.  I really didn't want to go back out after those 2 fast 300s, but I took full rest and went out and got it done.  Bringing home the last 200m against a stiff wind in 32 took everything.  I went home and sat in my hot tub for 45 min.

Every 400m sprinter knows this race is won in the last 100m or last 50m.  I feel that it's a weakness of mine, finishing.  Finishing does depend on pacing, pushing it to that fine line.  That's why event runs and split 400s are important.   But overall finishing strength, in my opinion, is earned mostly by the limited rest tempo repeats (200s w/1m, 300s, 400s w/2m), and over distance repeats (800s/600s/500s/split 500s/700s).  These are the most painful workouts you can do, and sometimes I think, doing other types of workouts are not the best use of time early in the season.  On the other hand, doing brutal and painful workouts every time out could have diminishing returns and break me down.  So, it's just pounding away and hoping for the best.   Not sure how much longer I can keep up the every other day track routine.  Some light days will be in order.

Weight is coming down.  144.4 after workout.

2 comments:

  1. Mate, your hard work will pay off. Excellent training despite tough conditions. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx. Much prefer to do the hard work in the cool weather, as opposed to the heat, even though I can generally run faster when it's warm.

    ReplyDelete