Thursday, January 3, 2013

Aqua running

It was awesome.   Thanks to my racing colleague John Woodman, I took his suggestion and tried deep water running.   Why I have never done this before, I don't know.  The University at Sewanee just happened to have the "Aqua-Jogger" belts.   Perfect.    No learning curve, totally natural.  Just jumped in the pool and ran.
Aqua belt on 
5 x 2:00 min - 120 steps/min cadence  
 30 sec. rest between
300m lap swim 
5 x 2:00 min - 120 steps/min cadence
2 x 1:30 sprints - 140 steps/min cadence
I also did some weights and upper body while I was there.

I can cover 50m in about 1:30 to 2:00 min.  It's not as tiring as running a 600m, so I just take about 30sec recovery in between.   Forward motion is not important.  Cadence and good form are important.  So, I time my cadence and rest rather than my laps.   The motion seems to fatigue the quads far more than the hams compared to running on land.   I'm considering buying some water training shoes to add resistance to the hams.

It was a satisfying workout, I could probably do this 5 times a week.

The foot feels ok, still not able to walk normally, it is black and blue but feels better than yesterday, except for those first few steps in the morning.  Weight is ok considering  holidays ... 143 after workout.

The first 3 minutes of this video explain the technique. At 7:50 min in the video, they make a case for using the AQX aqua shoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment