Monday, April 3, 2017

long sprints

On the track today for a significant workout.  Mid 60ºs, fair and windy in Sewanee.   My first workout since my ham strain on Sat.  It was definitely a strain, a bit more significant than I first thought as there was a small area of swelling on the surface.  I first noticed it through my jeans when I was driving this morning.  After spa and massage and stretching, the swelling disappeared.

I felt fine on the track but didn't run anything much over a 15 sec 100m pace.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
500m - 80.5 (64, 16.5) 
3 x 300m w/ 2 min rest - 46, 47.5, 49.5 
400m neg split -  62.5 (31.5, 31)

Leg felt fine.  Did a lot of dynamic stretches between sets.  I probably could have raced a 400m this Sat. but I decided not to.  This is my first ham injury in 3 yrs.  It's not bad and it's been my experience that these things heal quicker with a proactive approach rather than sitting around and 'letting it heal' ... an invitation for scar tissue and weakness to form.   Been massaging it out a lot with a pvc pipe and balm.  Tomorrow after the track, I'll go for some prehab/rehab in the weight room.  Should be fine in a week.

Well... I could still race a 400m at Berry College on Sat.  Have til tomorrow to decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment