Monday, October 3, 2016

Back on track

Pain is temporary.  Quitting is forever.

It went ok today.  With the foot taped and padded, there was less than moderate level pain.  It didn't feel too bad afterward.  I think I will be ready.  After all, in Perth I'll be running a grand total of just 1800m in about 4 min... 6 races. (I often do more in a workout).  So, that is not a lot of volume in 6 days (with one day off).

Speed endurance today, everything 90%
Hoka Clifton trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 500m - 77.5 (61.5 / 16), 81 (64.5, 16.5) 
300m - 42.5 
200m - 26.5
Blasting a 77 500m was a hard first run after 6 days off the track.  Made me feel like I have work to do.

One thing I learned, exact placement of the meta pad is essential.   1/2" off, or too big, it won't work as well.   I spent $25 on pads that probably won't work.  The Rock tape is essential and very helpful.  I have a half-size-big brand new racing spikes that I will probably make use of, at least in the preliminary rounds so I can wear socks and pad.  I could actually wear one just on my left foot.   Same color.

I have not taken any NSAIDs or any drugs of any kind.  I will need to get back to hard tempo work on Friday.  1500m wasn't too bad for a first time back.  Will probably need to stay under 1600m for workouts.

Need some stretching and massage.  Borrowed a lacrosse ball just for that purpose.   This coming week - Pool tomorrow. Wed off.  I may row on Thursday night, track Friday, Sunday, Tues next week.
143.2 after workout.

Slipped my spikes on and was surprised that they felt no worse than my soft trainers.  The stiffness of the spike plate seems the limit flex and protect the injury.

1 comment:

  1. introducing a new stressful exercise, (sled) prior to a big meet is like eating a food never eaten a few hours before your event. risky.

    ReplyDelete