Friday, January 23, 2015

running in circles

With the bad weather, I was forced inside to the Sewanee 160m track for a last workout before Sunday's meet.   I rarely workout here, running on a 160m track is like running a constant turn, much more turn than straight.  Long turns, then just 8 or 10 strides on a short straight and another turn.

One good thing is that it's easy to figure out the 160m track for timing intervals.   400m is easily divided into 5 half laps of 80m.  So, 5 x 12 sec 80m segments = a 60 sec 400m, 5 x 13 sec 80m segment = 65 sec 400m, etc...   The only problem is running an all out 200m on this track feels so unnatural, like limping and running at the same time, or having one short leg and one long.  It's just too weird.   I don't think I'm going to race a 200m on this track again.  Never say never.  Hard on the ankle.
Saucony Ride trainers on 
2 x 400m w/ 90 sec rest - 65, 69 
200m - 27.5
The first 400m interval was easy but felt hectic, running 5 turns.   The last 400m gave me a workout, not severe but decent.   I ran a 85% 200m just to feel the turns, and they didn't feel good.  Left me with a sore ankle.   That's why I usually prefer to be outside in the cold than training on these tight turns.  But, it rained all day today and was in the 30ºs.  Should be snow by morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment