Thursday, May 24, 2012

Weights, resistance, time off from the track

I'm going to take a day or more off from sprinting to give the aches and pains a chance to subside.  Today, I'll be going to the weight room to work on upper body.   Earlier in the season, I had some left knee and hip pain.  That has gone away, and now it's my right knee that intermittently acts up.   Nothing serious, but I want to put in some really good training by early next week, so I'll need some recovery.   I will probably run next early Saturday morning ... I may even wait til Sunday night.

The butt busting resistance exercises I do, don't engage my knee, so I can pump glute til it burns.   Want to do some plyos, stairs and blocks, along with some really good 'quantity work' (600s, 500s) next week.  The quantity work is the hardest, I think it burns the most energy.  Pure torture to do in the heat.

Off to the lake on Saturday for an overnight trip.  Summer is here (mid 90'sº the next 4 days) so I may shift to sunrise workouts in June.

This coming week is going to be difficult with my schedule.   Guitar Festival starts Thurs 5/31, guests arrive 5/30, and I'm teaching my last 3 classes Tues - Thurs at 8-10:30 am - same week.   Thursday - Sat may have to be days off - concerts every night.   I might be able to squeeze in an early morning workout Sat 6/2, but may have to wait til Sunday 6/3 at sunset.  Monday, June 4, Gov's School starts.   I don't have to teach til 11 am, so I can workout early and rest before going in.   It'll take some planning but I'll figure it out.  The Guitar Festival is one constant 3 day party of food and drink; but last year, I stayed disciplined and ran 55.54 400m at SE Masters one week afterward.

On top of all that, I need to practice guitar.   I've a performance coming up on 6/6.

No comments:

Post a Comment