Sunday, May 13, 2012

Spikes on

It was a miserable rainy cool day in Sewanee.   About 61º and a break in the rain gave way to a light drizzle.   Actually, felt warmer because of the humidity and by the second 400, I was running shirtless.  Puddles on the track.

Days like today make me want to quit, call it a season and rest on my laurels.   After Saturday off, my first day back to running long sprints in spikes since the injury.  A workout like this would have been easy several days ago.   Today, it was a bitch.   Gives me a clue about how far I'd have to go to get back to where I was.

The good thing is that I'm 99% healed from the ham strain.   I barely feel it.  So, about an hour after one set of resistance, I hit the track at the University of the South.
400m warmup, stretches, drills
Saucony spikes on 
4 x 400m - 65.5, 66.5, 69.5, 72 
2 - 2 1/2 min rest between
I had set a pace of 66 (32/34) and by the fourth one, I was whooped.  Not even close and unable to maintain form.  This was discouraging on one hand, but encouraging to feel past my injury.  My lack of fitness and speed is also due to my weight as much as my time off.   Just 4 days 'off the wagon' ... gained a solid 5 lbs.  My weight is ranging from 144 - 147.5.  

For the future, I think I will do more reps, slower.  Like maybe 8 x 400 at 70-72.   Also, at least 2 times a week of resistance.   It's going to be a long road back, but glad to be back.

I start an 8 am class tomorrow so my workouts will have to be evening most of this month.

4 comments:

  1. Your courage and perseverance is off the charts ..... the road back will not be easy but the reward will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each pound is roughly 3500 calories. To maintain weight you need about 1800 calories. To gain 1 lb a day you have to consume 5300 calories per day. Very hard to do. Most likely, a signficant portion of the gain is water retention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely some adipose, easy to measure, being as lean as I am/was. I'm eating carbs so not losing it real fast. I think I'm up at least 2 lbs adipiose + waste and water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy to notice, not to measure. Your gage capability is within the noise of system fluctuation - sweat, fluid gain\loss, "waste", etc.

    3500 calories a day is more plausible, which would be about 2 lbs. (but is still a stretch)

    ReplyDelete