Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tune up

On the indoor track again tonight. I felt sore in the haunches today from my intervals and resistance on Tuesday, so I took it easy with a light workout.

The revised heat sheets are out for Saturday's meet, and surprisingly, I am not the slowest qualifier in both of my races... but unfortunately, the slowest in my heats. So, I'm again relegated to lane one in the 400m. It's a huge meet, 10 heats of the men's 400m, fast to slow. I'm in heat #9. There are 16 heats of the 200m! I'm in heat 15 lane 2. After the 200, I may not hang around to get my time and just look it up the next day on line. This meet will take forever, and I want to see Iska that day.

My workout today was just to mainly stretch and 'lubricate the chasis.' I had never run a 600m for time on my toes so that is what I did first.

900m warmup, stretches, drills

Adidas spikes on

long sprints 80-85% effort:

600m - 1:36 (45, 50)

300m - 40.5

4 starts from blocks

400m cool down jog

Considering the effort level, not too bad.

It occurs to me that I've never run a competitive indoor 400 where there is a break to the rail and jockying for position. It's all the more reason to try to go out fast and lead on that 3rd turn, then relax and let them pass. I'm not running to beat anyone, but I know if I am boxed in behind someone or forced to pass someone wide, it will affect my time for the worse. And time is, of course, paramount.

Inventory: Hurt my shoulder trying to hoist a heavy object over my head, but it's not serious, just annoying. Very little trace of the pubalgia injury. I felt it much more a week ago in FL, now hardly at all, only a little from the blocks. It will not be a factor in my race.

Weight: after significant post holiday sacrifices, target weight has been achieved for this first meet: 139.8 lbs tonight after workout. I expect to be below 140 by race time.







1 comment:

  1. You seem right on schedule.... Good form,Good form,Good form ..... and of course good luck...dad

    ReplyDelete