Thursday, January 12, 2012

Indoor tempo endurance - updated


Bitter cold tonight and snowy, finally feels like winter.

So, I hit the indoor track for some intervals.

The only distance on this track that I'm certain of is the 400m, so I ran 400 intervals.

Keeping the 3 min rest intervals and starting too fast was a recipe for total exhaustion. As well as the fact that I broke a 20 hour fast this morning and I'm very light.

600m warm up, stretches, drills

Adidas spikes on

4 x 400m - 3 min rest between - 61.5, 67, 77, 78

300m - 53

Spira training shoes on

300m cool down jog
My weight is 137.6 - the lightest since the Masters Nationals. My body fat is probably at or less than 10%.

The last 300 was supposed to be a 400 but I copped out. I really was totally exhausted - it was just a strider. I really started feeling it halfway through the third one. That's where I really started breaking.

I have the opportunity for 2 hard running workouts before next meet. Not sure what I should do. Maybe something similar to today and perhaps a speed/event workout. I'm thinking Sunday morning and Tues night, resistance tonight and tomorrow. Unfortunately, my shoulder is limiting the upper body stuff I can do since that slight injury last week. I do need to run fast. Soon I'll be running the 55m.

As it works out, beginning weekend of 1/21, I have the opportunity to run 4 consecutive weekends, including possibly doing a 55/200/400 triple on Jan 29 at TSU. After that 4 meet stint, just one more at Sewanee (55, 200) then 3 weeks off before the Nationals. I think it's doable. My dad and I have already started planning to attend the Nationals in Indiana, so I do want to stay healthy.

UPDATE:
Resistance/plyos:
2 x 25 Bulgarian squats w/50 lbs (each leg)
2 x 15 squat jumps
2 x 15 single leg leaps from box (each leg)
2 x 45 calf raises (each leg)
1 x 50 quad / hip flexor resistance bands (each leg)
1 x 35 adductor resistance bands (each leg)
1 x 35 abductor resistance bands (each leg)

I'd like to run stadium steps tomorrow ... but it's supposed to be bitterly cold, windy, and only up to about 30ยบ. I do have an hour break in my schedule tomorrow. So, I think I'll go for it if the stairs are ice free. That's why I bought the long tights.

1 comment:

  1. WM-be safe on the steps - my youngest brother lives in Franklin and emailed me when it started to snow on Thursday... thanks for the details on the resistance w.o. DeanW.

    ReplyDelete