Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to foundation work

After two days off, my soreness from the weekend races subsided enough to allow me to run, but not sprint; so I did some needed foundation work on the outdoor track. This time, NO cheating on the 3 minute rest intervals.

400m warmup, stretches, drills

Adidas flats on

6 x 800m - 3 min rest in between - 2:35, 2:54, 3:01, 3:07, 3:04, 3:09 (2:58 avg)
Weight is good - 139.2 lbs after workout. This week I have to fast for my yearly blood work, so I expect to be even lighter by next race.

Obviously my first 800 was too ambitious and I paid for it. The average was 2:58 - slower than the 2:55 average of a previous 5 x 800 workout in Dec. But at least I did 6 and did not cheat the rest interval. It felt pretty good. I didn't kill myself.

Afterward, I could still feel a lot of tightness in my groin. I'm going to need to do a lot of stretching and more rest. I don't know what I would do without my hot tub. Stretching in hot water has been vital for me - for recovery, warm up and injury prevention. Strength and sprinting later this week. I think the pubalgia injury is finally behind me.

I talked with Coach Dean Hayes today at the indoor track. When he saw me yelled out with a big smile, "If you want to see some real suffering, watch this guy run the 400. But hey, he even beat a few people!" I told him I quit running track at Cortland because I really didn't like to train, and knew I couldn't be the fastest. I told him that I really love to just be able to participate now. I think he sees that I really love the sport. BTW... Coach Hayes affirmed he also thought there were timing errors in last weekend's meet.

What really drove me to laugh at myself was my conversation last night with Iska about my motivation to race.

I was being all noble and humble ... saying, "it is such a gift to simply be able to participate at my age, without feeling the need to be competitive or be near the top."

She said, "Is that why you guys post your times on a website .... so you can compare times and pound your chests?"

'Nuff said, I still want to win.


3 comments:

  1. William, I'm reading through your blog. Hoping to use some of your insight and experiences to aid me in my return to sprinting, after 32 years. Been running for 3years and road racing 5K-13.1M, but always want to run faster (200/400M). Thanks, Dean Wewetzer in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean,
    I'm basically a 100/200 sprint guy trying to move up to the 400, so my approach may be not exactly what you need. check the Aug archive, there is some training strategy plans from Clyde Hart.

    ReplyDelete