Friday, January 27, 2012

Sunset 300s

A light workout tonight left me feeling good and invigorated.

I specifically wanted to try working with my new interval split timer/beeper - the Gymboss.

I didn't want to do too much since I'm still a tad sore from resistance ... and the meet on Sunday will be a workout in itself. Like Coach Page said, "Racing is the best training."

I ran some short striders, and two 80-85% effort 300s. I wanted to concentrate on my 'fatigued form' in the last 100m.

So, I set the interval beeper to beep at the following 100m intervals:
100m - 14 sec
200m - 15 sec (29)
300m - 14 sec (43)

Assuming a last 100m in 16, that would be 59 pace. It felt good, not too hard.

800m warm up, stretches, drills

Adidas spikes on

2 x 50m striders

2 x 300m - 43.5, 43

The first one I nailed the first 100 in 14, but was 2m short of the desired 200m split and the 300m split ... which means I was just a half second off on the 2nd 100m. The second run, I nailed my splits exactly. THIS Gymboss is going to be one helluva tool for 'event runs' and my own education. Even on my second 300m, I felt like I had something left and was not near the rigging point.

The question is, what are optimum splits for a race? I'm thinking, in a perfect world... for me... 13, 13.5, 14, 14.5 would yield 55.0. Or something like that. A 26.5 sec 200m is way more taxing than the 29 I ran today.

I'm going to try one thing different in this weekend's 400m. I'm going to ditch the heavy CW-X Pro compression tights for the much lighter feather weight Adidas Supernova sprint tights. I tried the Adidas tonight and they feel great. I've been told (by Bill Collins and others) the CW-X compression tights with the built in support bands are great for injury prevention, so I will wear them in the 55m race. I just think they are too restrictive and for the 400, I need all the help I can get.

I felt really strong tonight and maybe it had something to do with that giant 500 calorie chocolate bar I ate a few hours before I ran? With my weight hovering around 138, and my workout routine established, I can now eat chocolate and carbs, and other goodies in moderation, usually not on consecutive days.

After workout weight - 137.2

Looking forward to the meet and hoping I don't get lane one.



No comments:

Post a Comment