Thursday, January 19, 2012

I'm in

After not hearing back from Coach Hayes about Saturday's meet - the Blue Raider Invitational, I went to track practice today to see if I could find out anything.

I got there about 2 pm and began a lengthy warmup... really just stalling and waiting to see Coach Hayes come in. After a running almost a mile, I started stretching then I saw the coach and it went something like this.

(Coach Hayes sees me while walking away)

Me: "Hey, coach!"

Coach Hayes: "Yeah." (continues walking away, doesn't look back)

Me: "Did you get my email, are you going to be able to get me in on Saturday?"

Coach Hayes: (a little agitated) "Well... I guess so, since you're a faculty member."

Me: "Great. Thanks coach."

Coach Hayes: "Ok"

Me: "Have you ever met Payton Jordan?"

then... some small talk.

For Coach Hayes, I'm like the fly that won't buzz off. He told me a few years ago he is not interested in Masters Track, and unlike many track meets, MTSU meets are not open on-line registration, so they rarely allow unattached athletes. Dean Hayes must approve everything. I'm sure he does the heat sheets himself. Keep in mind, Dean Hayes has been around MTSU for 45 years and has coached Olympic caliber athletes. He is known as a great international recruiter of African athletes.

This will be a 'full participation meet' by the MTSU team. There are at least 6 MTSU sprinters in each of the 200m and 400m events. I think MTSU All-American Noah Akwu will be running, just back from a foot injury. Granted, it is ridiculous for me to be running with an NCAA All-American like Akwu, (recruited by Hayes from Nigeria). He ran 20.86 in the 200m last year - indoors.

I did a light workout this afternoon, concentrating on form:
1500 warm up, stretches, drills

Adidas spikes on

Long sprints at 80-90% effort with full recovery:

3 x 300m - untimed, 41, 44
My weight is good. 137.8 this morning.

If I can run a comfortably run a 300m in 40, which I think is doable, then I should be able to run the last 100m in 16. whaala - 56.0.







No comments:

Post a Comment