Thursday, June 30, 2011

Still recovering

Looks like this week is shot. Would have been a perfect morning to train, cool, low 60s. My abs are still not ready to run.

Looking for other ways to exercise, I tried doing laps in the pool with vigorous kicking on my back and was amazed at the level of quad fatigue. I never imagined that such a muscular workout could be had just kicking in the pool.

I did resistance yesterday and will do more today. After just 2 x 10 lengths of my little pool, I feel as if I've run 10+ stadium stair flights, and I'm as winded as after a 90% 200m. It really is a perfect exercise for me now. Small range of movement but its obviously working something that I'm not used to working.

I also ordered some hanging ab elbow straps for leg raises. These attach to my pullup bar.

The nature of my ab injury is such that it hurts more to do split leg things than legs together... i.e. leg lifts with feet together don't hurt as much as laying on the edge of the bed and doing a bicycling motion with my legs, or doing deep stepping lunges. Improvement is slow. I guess I have no choice but to take this week off. I may try to run Friday night or Saturday morning, it will be my last chance this week before I go out of town on Sat-Sun. I'll be in Sewanee on Monday July 4 and would like to begin training in earnest by then. I feel like I'm slipping backward and need to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment