Sunday, June 26, 2011

Alabama Sports Festival Track and Field Meet - 6/25/11

ALABAMA STATE MEET

I was hoping for a PR in the 400m and didn't get it, despite a decent performance: 55.87. My 'breakout' race was the 100m, my best FAT time of the season: 12.26. The 12.26 indicates I am at about 92.7% of my highschool speed (based on an 11.1 h converted to 11.35 FAT). This is only the third 100m FAT time I've had this season, excluding the race where I injured a hamstring.

This meet was difficult. Literally HUNDREDS of heats. An all-ages meet where the vast majority of participants were under 12 yrs old. There was no real Masters competition in my age group, so the medals are really meaningless, but a nice memento. My heats had ridiculously varied ages. Masters and Open division runners seemed to be placed purely by random, ages 20s to 70s. It was HOT, in the mid 90's and no shade. What made it difficult was the meet's rolling schedule where I had no idea how long before I would run, which resulted in a lot of standing around in the heat.

The 100m
I got a decent start, maybe the best of the season. It was a bit disconcerting that I broke a shoelace grommet on my Nike R3s spikes as I was tieing my shoes just before the race. Fortunately, it was not the top grommet. We had a full heat of 8, age ranges from 20s to 60s - Masters and Open. I finished second in my heat, beating mostly younger sprinters. My time was the best overall among 9 Masters competitors. It was a nice tight fast red track. I reminded myself in the last half to relax. No pulls or strains, but I did feel a little something in my upper left quad. It was a little sore after the race but not at all a significant issue. It was a full hour later than I expected to run, finally got off about 11am. Started warmups by 9:15. Had to keep loose for along time. I wish I would have run this race at SE Masters. Would have won handily.

400m
I drew lane 7 and got out fast. I did not see anyone during the race until the 25 yr old in lane 2 pulled up even with me on the home stretch. I felt paralyzed in the last 100m. The last 100m must have been 16+ sec. I was not mentally ready for this race. It was pretty gut wrenching and I felt a little sick afterward. Looking at the race clock, I thought I had a shot at a PR since the clock seemed to click 55 just as I crossed. But, I missed it by 0.33. The 25 yr old finished first in the heat, beating me by 2 sec.

200m
Didn't happen... I waited for hours. All the 400 heats lasted 2 hours. I couldn't believe it. Then the hurdle events and the 800m was scheduled before the 200m. There was a 30 min lightning delay as a storm approached. It was 5:30pm and my 400 was done before 3 pm. I checked once more and as they were deciding whether or not to cancel, I then decided to leave. It would have been after dark by the time the 200m would be contested. While driving home, I heard a severe thunderstorm warning for that area, so I'm almost sure the meet was canceled. Disappointed to not increase my seed time for the Nationals.

Moving forward
I don't know what I have to do to get faster in the 400. As painful as it will be, I will have to start doing longer and faster workouts. Maybe some foundational 500s and 600s, and multiple 400s at 60 or less. It will be painful. Right now I can not sprint effectively for 400m. 300m yes, but not 400. I'll bet I can run a 300m at or under 40. If I can just muster a 14.5 last 100m, that's all I need. The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare.

I 'repaired' my Nike R3 Superflys by punching a new hole for the shoelace. I cut off the top velcro strap which had become ineffective. I've run about 2 dozen races in these and they seem to be coming to the end of their life. These great shoes are the same shoes that Walter Dix just won the 100m National Championship in. But, this has been a hell of an active season... for an old guy.

All my PR times are under the TN Senior Games records for the 100/200/400. That will be my next meet - in 4 weeks.

Picture from the event... virtually all of the sparse crowd was hiding under umbrellas or tents.




1 comment:

  1. Good post! I was at this meet and left early, missing the 200m because of the LONG delay of the events. Stay strong and focus!

    ReplyDelete