Saturday, June 11, 2011

400m Gold: 55.54 Southeastern Masters Championships




Well, I guess I'm a 400 meter sprinter.

After losing the 100m in a photo finish with a poor time into a stiff headwind (12.63) - having to settle for Silver, I felt I needed something better to make this trip worth while ... and found it in the 400m. My 55.54 was a PR by more than a second and was the second fastest 400m time in the meet. I think I missed the $100 cash award for the best age-graded 400m by only about 1/4 0f 1%. If I had been 51 (in just over 3 weeks), I would have won it. Jeanne Diprano, W70 world record holder was there and she timed my 200 split in the 400, 24.22 - faster than my 200m race, probably because I had the wind at my back down the back stretch. That would make my last 200 over 30sec, which needs work. When I saw the race clock with less than 40m to go reading 48, 49 ... it was encouraging. Still, I really died in the last 80m. Nevertheless, my 55.54 is ranked 6th in the M50 US Masters Rankings as of 6/12/11.

My 200m was ok, 25.34 into a headwind, but I tied up in the end. The temperatures on the track by that time were over 105ºF. The same guy, Rohan S. from Atlanta edged me out in both the 100m and 200m. So, I got 2 Silvers. I got caught trying to steal the start and was charged with a false start. I barely even warmed up for the 200m. Thankfully, no injuries, just a little hip soreness.

Even though the 200m was an PR for me (FAT time), I think my form needs work. Some ladies from the Atlanta Track Club were trying to coach me a little, they said I was tightening up at the end, possibly fist clenching. I need to spread my fingers and relax my hands. I wish I had a coach. I should have done better in the 100m. Definitely not a good 100m race today. I came very close to 3 golds, but no cigar.

The competition situation was brutal, absolutely no shade and temperatures well into the 90sº, and humid. The dark green artificial turf infield seemed to absorb the heat, it was so hot the artificial turf was impossible to walk on in bare feet. Every one's feet were burning. You could see waves of heat coming off the track. I was actually thankful for the headwind.

At the end of the meet, I was persuaded to run in a pickup 4x100m relay. I got to hand off to Don Drummond, double National Indoor sprint and hurdle champion. It was fun ... kind of a joke since we were uncontested and everyone was soooo hot by 5 pm that we couldn't wait to get outta there.

There were some amazing stories at this meet. A 91 yr old set the American record in the polevault for his age. During the 800m race, contested around 4pm in the hottest part of the day, a man in his late 70s collapsed coming around the final turn. He bloodied both knees and an elbow but was helped up by medics and finished the race. Unfortunately, the USATF officials DQ'd him because he was helped up.

At the banquet afterward, I was struck by the dedicated board of people whose love for the sport has kept this thing alive for 41 years. There was some emotion and a lot of warm feelings. I realized how special this event is. It is the oldest and largest Masters Meet besides the Nationals. I definitely would like to return.

Photo below... the "Gold medal" 4x100 relay. I'm the old man of the group 10 yrs older than my teammates.






No comments:

Post a Comment