Monday, June 27, 2011

Speed workout - 6/27/11


Long sprints - speed workout

It was 8:oo pm but still warm, 82º and very humid. I was hoping it would rain tonight as there was a severe thunderstorm watch, but nothing.

After a lot of conjecture on how to proceed, I started with a speed workout.


This was a bitch:

800m warmup, lots of dynamic stretching, drills

spikes on

200m - strider (80%) 28.5

sprints at 85-95% effort with full recovery:

2 x 400m - 57.5, 59.5

2 x 300m - 42, 44

200m - 28

training shoes on

200m - strider

It felt hard, especially after the second 400. My lower abs started hurting again. I was going to start a morning workout routine tomorrow but I don't know if I can do it after tonight.

According to some research I've read, the top 3 training regimes for the 400m focus on:
  • 100s run at close to full speed with full recoveries (5-8 minutes)
  • 300s run at close to full speed with full recoveries (8 minutes or longer)
  • 400s run at close to full speed with short recoveries (3 minutes)
The first for speed, the second for speed endurance, and the third for endurance.

Obviously the last one is the most painful.

I need core and resistance work, maybe some rest too. We'll see how I feel in the morning. I think my fitness level will now support consecutive days of running workouts but no more than 2 per week (4 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment