Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday sunset workout - 6/5/11: secret track access granted

Due to the wildly successful TN Guitar Festival which I directed this week, I haven't had much time to post.

I've only run track workouts on Mon, Thurs, and tonight - Sunday this week. I did do resistance and stadium steps on non track days.

My calves were still sore today from Friday's stadium step workout.

I hit the track at sunset just after my house guests left. I fully intended to run fast. When I got there, the MTSU sprinters were running 150s from the second turn. I did my usual warm up and let loose on a 90% 300m. Here it is:

800m warmup and drills

spikes on

2 x 300m - 41, 46 (90%, 80%)

2 x 200m - 31, 25.5 (80%, 95%)

I was going to do more but after my first 200, I was stopped by Aston, the soccer coach, who told me the track would be locked from now on for soccer field renovation. He told me to contact Dean Hayes for permission to get in. After talking with him, he recognized me as 'that masters sprinter' that he'd seen before... so he relented and gave me "the secret access" instructions for the track.

A 41 sec 300m is about 56-57 sec 400m pace. It was the fastest 300 I've logged and I wasn't giving everything. It was hard but the feeling I got after the second 300 was really exhausting. I felt a lot of muscle fatigue, not just aerobic fatigue. My first 200 was just gliding. The second was after a lengthy disussion and walk back to the opposite end of the track so I had full recovery and ran it fast knowing it would be the last sprint. 25.5 is about race pace. I was planning to do some 100s but the track was being locked and I wanted to cooperate and leave. It seems as there is just enough light to train at night, so that may be an option... although mornings are cooler.

I'm healthy but heavy. Cheated last night with some pasta and rum cake and woke up at 141.2 lbs. Heaviest morning weight in a while. No fat gained, just full of shit. Carbs always slow down my digestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment