Thursday, March 21, 2024

On my way

 After Monday's hard conditioning workout on the stairmaster and rower, I opted for complete rest until tomorrow's 400m championship race.  Competition is uncertain, but I think one of my top competitors, Vadim, will scratch due to a WR 4x8 relay record attempt.  I was asked to be an alternate but I declined.  My injury is really more of a mental burden of confidence than anything else.  It's really more like a tendinitis thing rather than anything that's torn or should affect my speed.  I still think it's my race to lose, which could easily happen if I underperform and someone surprisingly over performs.   There are a few unknown quantities in the race and so it's hard to size up the competition.  People who've raced very little in recent yrs... me, kind of the opposite, having logged 5 sub 60 races already this yr.  To put it in perspective, not one person in this field has logged a sub 60 400m race since the 2020 pandemic, but 2 have 'claimed' to have done so without evidence, (and I think their seeds should be erased!)  There are 3 or 4 who definitely have the potential.  So, I still like my chances.

Feeling good, only very slight indications of any soreness, which go away completely after soaking in a bath.  I feel extremely fit and light, although weird to not have run for so long.  I'm about 138.5 lbs.

I'm going over to the venue tonight to pick up my packet and do a light shake out.  My 400m is late in the day, which is good.  4:02 PM.   

I will likely scratch the 200m but will decide tomorrow night.  I'd like to not end my season this weekend with an injury and still have in my mind, the possibility of a 4x4 WR attempt if things go extremely well.  If not, I'd like to help my club 4x4.


No comments:

Post a Comment