Saturday, March 23, 2024

collapse, defeat, injury at Nationals

Even with the injury, I should have easily won this race.  Nationals were a bust.  I felt a lot of anxiety before the race, worried about the injury since I had not tested it in a long sprint in a week.  Disconcerting was a sharp pain I felt while shaking out my legs just before the race.  Ultimately, it wasn't the injury that really lost this race, it was my anxiety, and going out too fast and rigging way before the end.  The lack of confidence and lack of a last week of solid training that the injury caused, put me in this situation.   But, I think I had this race in me and squandered the opportunity.   

My first 200m was way too fast considering my condition, about 27.3 ish.  I completely locked up in the end and stumbled before the line as everyone passed.  It was one of the worst chokes in my life of championship races.  Yes, the injury caused some pain and slowed me down, but if I had run a smarter more conservative race, I may not have aggravated the injury and certainly could've managed a 60, and won the title.  The winning time was a shockingly slow 61.34  Every single race of six I've run this year was faster, even the race on Sewanee's tiny track (60.54).  Definitely the agony of defeat.  Totally humiliating.   Watched the race video once on my phone and can't bear to watch it again.   Ridiculous ... I ran 59.84 in training shoes Jan 2.  57.91 in spike less than 2 weeks ago.

But on the positive side, it was a good season in general.  Season best 58.84.  Four indoor times under 60.
- #1 US ranked M60 400m  
- #5 World Ranked M60 400m  
Given the choice, I'd rather have this top ranking instead of a title with a slow time.  I have the 4 fastest indoor times in the M60 400m in the US.  No one else has run under 60.  

Not 100% sure but thinking of shutting it down for the season.  I'd hate to screw up my team with an injury at Penn, so I'll decide in a week or two.  I probably won't try to run for a week.  

One thing is for certain, I definitely put too much pressure on myself and it has affected my race performance.  I have to shift to training with more of an emphasis on strength and less on running as I heal up this injury and get ready for the next age group.   

Looking forward to doing other things and not being so focused on track, however, I will continue to train, and be an athlete.  It's going to be a long long off season.  Probably my longest time off since my 2019 surgery and the 2020 pandemic.  Then I went from 2018 outdoor Nationals to July 2020 without a race, about 2 yrs.  It may be a year or more before I race again.  We'll see how it feels in a few weeks.  

Certainly an anti-climactic way to end the season.  Thanks to all who have followed my journey on this blog.  And that's really what it's about, the journey.   Sprint Forever.


1 comment:

  1. What a disappointing result after all that work. However, sometimes it's the journey not the destination. Brutally honest and insightful analysis as usual, William. I really enjoy reading about your journey.
    John

    ReplyDelete