Thursday, July 19, 2012

Resistance day, more optimism

My previous training post was pretty dark and gloomy, but today is a new day and a world of difference in my personal life and a new outlook on the Nationals and training.

I'm considering staying for the 200m and possibly a relay. It's the last year I'll probably be competitive in my age group, and who knows if I'll ever be able to train as hard as I did this season, so might as well enjoy it while I can. And enjoy it, I do.  Especially the short sprints.

After 2 hamstring injuries in May and June, I know it's risky to run the 200m, and ... my medal chances are probably nil... but you never know. Champions like me are made when people don't show up. Everyone who is competitive in the 200m is also running the 100m, and the 100m can take it toll in injuries on M50 guys. So, you never know. They may not let Barnwell in (after his drug suspension), Briscoe may not be medal eligible as a Jamaican, Waller and/or Tissenbaum may or may not survive 2 heats of the 100m.

And if I do get hurt, well ... it's the end of the season.  I remember Ben James laying on the ground at the end of his championship 200m race in Berea last year grimacing in pain with a hamstring.  He must have pulled it right at the end of the race, but powered through the pain to win another championship.  He was fine this indoor season and won again in M55.

I think I have almost 2 weeks to test it, so we'll see.  I'm only on the track every other day and I'm not busting my balls so much.   Just doing about 1200m of total sprints, about half what I'd done in previous weeks.  If I am going to run the 200m, I have to start pushing toward top speed.  But, I certainly wouldn't want to screw myself and get hurt in training.

I still haven't changed my flight yet but am looking into it.  It will cost me a lot... probably an additional $500 !! to stay an extra 2 nights, change flight, and extend rental car.  I can think of worse things to spend $500 on.  This is really once in a lifetime stuff, I mean I hope to be back but I doubt I'll ever be more competitive.

In the mean time, my weight is back to a normal 140 - 141, and I feel stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment