Thursday, July 12, 2012

400m event run

It has been raining 12+ hours straight here in Sewanee.   A late afternoon break in the rain and cooler temperatures gave me an opportunity to hit the track.   It was a thick drizzle - mist (locals call it 'mizzle') and the temperature was 69º on Sewanee's soggy track.

I was nervous for what I was about to do -  run fast.   The first all-out event run since my injury 31 days ago.   I did a thorough warm up a few striders, blocks starts, and then set the timer to a starting command and goal.   My 100m split goals were: 13/14/14/15 or 27/29 = 56.

I hit the 200 just slightly ahead of goal and was a step short at the finish.  56.5

My splits were probably about 26.5/30.   It felt fine.  Not particularly powerful coming out of the blocks,  I could feel a slight tugging on my ham, and my form was a little clunky, but very happy with my overall progress and speed since the injury.  Since it was a low volume workout, my knee feels fine.
800m warmup, stretches, drills 
Puma spikes on 
50m strider 
2 x 50m strider from blocks on the curve 
400m event - 56.5  (26.5/30) 
2 x 200m - 27, 29
I'm feeling less enthused about running the 800m on Sunday.   We'll see.

Yesterday my right knee was sore but today it feels much better.   Coach Page was being 'pageish' again, telling me that I'll need to retire from track because of my knee.   Heh...   don't think so.  Just need a rest.  I think I've earned that.

2 comments:

  1. "I think I've earned that."

    and I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..claim victory, retire, and find a less stressful sport or activity.

    ReplyDelete