Sunday, July 15, 2012

Jim Mathis takes his final lap

Former Masters Champion Sprinter and Coach Jim Mathis
takes his final 400m
I never met him.

I saw his name in the TN Senior Olympic record book and thought... "these times must be a mistake."

56.09 400m at age 60?  Who was this guy?

Well, I found out - Jim Mathis was a legendary World Champion masters track sprinter from Memphis, and renown coach.  He won the World Indoor Masters Championship in Melbourne in 1987 and at one time, held a number of world indoor records in the 200m and 400m.  He was inducted into the Masters Track Hall of Fame.

When I found out who he was, I was humbled to be able to post the same exact time: 56.09, a M50 TN State Senior Games record, as he posted at age 60.  

I asked Randall Brady about Jim.  Randall is a 67 yr old masters sprinter and USATF official ... a guy who has been around TN Track and Field a long time, and he told me he used to train with Jim and his son Jay.  I wanted to meet Jim or speak to him, so I emailed the Athletic Director where Jim coached, the parochial school St. Agnes & St. Dominic to ask if I could get Jim's email.  AD Jim Lassandrello responded, "Coach does not use e-mail. He is fighting hard and in a wheel chair."  I knew his time was short since he had brain cancer.  Jim died a few weeks ago.  He was 77.

Friends, family and students from his 50-year career give a last-lap tribute to Jim following his memorial service, carrying his body for one final 400m.

I'll never run that fast.  His hand timed M55 TN State Record is 55 flat.  He ran his age in the 400m ... and then some.   I'm just happy to have my slower time next to his in the record books.   His records will probably stand forever.

In addition, Jim was a great guy as I gathered by the article I read in the Memphis paper.

Here's to you coach.

World Champion, Jim Mathis

RIP




2 comments:

  1. No doubt whatsoever that Jim Mathis was a great guy. I announced him, talked with him, enjoyed watching him run. Absolutely no doubt at all that he was someone to be admired, even if he had not been such a great long sprinter.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Peter. I wish I had met Jim. He remains a legend for the ages.

    ReplyDelete