Thursday, July 5, 2012

Quality 400s

Sewanee track - 4:40am 7/5/12
The scene was serene at 4:40 am on the Sewanee track.   Lit by a nearly full moon all types of birds were singing in stereo, it was a humid 73º.  Critters abound.  I saw a large skunk near the field and a coon in a garbage can.

Wow, my ass was sore from yesterday's resistance - the squats and glute work.   It hurt to sit on the toilet.

Despite a holiday meal that was 'still with me,'  I was determined to run fast today.   Thankfully, my ham injury feels almost healed.  It tugs a little when doing leg swings but not bad.

750m warmup, stretches, drills
Puma spikes on 
50m striders 
3 x 400m - 59,  59.5,  59.5
The 400s felt ok, tiring but not sickening.   I did take full recovery between each and it was nearly a maximum effort to get the last one under 60.   The splits were something like 28/31.  The only difference between these and a 57 is a blast out of the blocks and a 26 sec first 200m.

I want to expand in both directions in my workouts as I approach the Nationals - which start 4 weeks from today.   Longer sprints - 500s, 600s.  And faster repeats, 200s, 300s.    Still not ready to sprint 100% but who knows, maybe the 200m in 4 weeks may be possible.
5:30 am at the end of the workout

------------------
The Nationals registration is open through Monday and is starting to fill up.   4 fast guys capable of running sub 56 are on the list so far and more expected.  Looks like some good competition.   So far, no Chin or Sullivan.  I'll throw my hat into the ring by tomorrow.

Still trying to decide if I want to face the indignity of racing one of the Nation's best M50 800m runners next weekend at the State Games.   This guy runs a 4:30 1500m, and a 17m 5k.

3 comments:

  1. I would definately say run the 800 if you hadn't injured your hammy. But race level effort may interfere with complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete