Monday, June 13, 2022

Stairs, 400, 100


My strained calf from pre race warmups is pretty much healed but the ham tendon is still sore so I was unable to train as I had hoped today.  I had planned 2x600m.   Super warm in ATL this Monday evening.  92º with a heat index of 100º, calm winds.  I have not trained in these conditions in a long time and it definitely affected my stamina.  I tried a 400m at 800m race pace, but I felt like I was 'protecting' my ham and not yet able to stride fully.  I thought about continuing on for a 600 or 800 but even a 69 sec 400m was exhausting in these conditions.  Just not used to it and sore from the race.  So, I just ran the stadium stairs 2 doz times and did some stretching.  I was soaked.  I may go out and try it again tomorrow, but it's supposed to be even hotter.  I'm thinking I probably should not race this weekend and take the long view toward being healthy for Eugene and Finland.  My ham tendon hadn't felt this sore in a while, but I'm sure I'll be 100% in a few days.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100

100m stride - 16.5

400m - 69.00

23 x stadium stairs

50m stride

stretches, bands

The stadium stairs at Marist School were in no way comparable to MTSU, probably just over half as far, but it was a workout because I ran them hard, only an 8 sec sprint to the top.  Got my heart rate up to 155+.  Glad to do something.

I didn't realize my 400m time was just .03 off the #2 time in the world.  I was hoping to race one more 400m before Finland, but probably better to just train, rehab, and be cautious.  

The competition in Finland isn't laying down invincible times.  John won the Brit masters with 58.98, and Mike ran a 58.81 I think.  Philipe ran 58.99.   No one going to Finland has run faster to my knowledge.  

This heat was a bit draining.  136.8 lbs after workout.  

What better thing to do 23 times on a 100º day in ATL?







1 comment:

  1. Training here in San Antonio is tough also, waiting till 8pm, it is still 99 degrees..... ugh, I hope to improve my time this weekend in Lancaster, Texas! Stay healthy and bring back the title from Finland!

    ReplyDelete