Saturday, June 11, 2022

Getting there, AAU SE meet

This was the AAU SE Regional Qualifier.  A lot of elite high schoolers were there.  I was one of just 2 masters that I know of that showed up.  Today, a slight improvement as I ran a 58.39 in the 400m.  It felt better than my previous races and didn't rig real hard in the end.  Still could have been faster down the stretch.  Ranks #3 in the world, and if I can get a half second faster, which I'm sure is doable, could be in medal contention in Finland.  

Conditions were ok at the new Rockvale, HS track.  Low-mid 80ºs, light breeze.  But, a weird thing happened to me that will knock me out of tomorrow's 800m race.  Right before my race, I did a quick calf stretch, felt fine, then ran one more strider.  My left calf started hurting badly, like a cramp.   I immediately grabbed the massage gun and balm.  I worked it and it felt a little better.  I could run.  It was getting late and they were paging me by name to report to the line.  The clerk initially told me to run with the boys in lane 1.  I blew her off and went right to the timer.  I told him I didn't want lane 1.  He said ok.  So, I ran alone and chose lane 5.  The timer and starter said my splits were still pretty lopsided.  Probably like 26.9, 31.5 or something.  At least I didn't rig hard like the last 2 races.  Another thing that bothered me in this run was that they had hurdles set up in lane 4, ready for the 400mH - the next event, so I couldn't really hug the line on the first turn the way I would have liked with hurdles right on the line.

In addition to the calf issue, the ham tendon is aching a bit tonight so probably need to scratch tomorrow's 800m.  Actually pretty bummed about that, since I'll be racing my first 800m this yr at Hayward field in 2 weeks.  Anyway, important to be healthy the next training sessions on Monday and Tues.  It will be extremely hot here in ATL those days 95-97º and they will be important and difficult sessions.  Running out of time.  

Otherwise, feeling pretty lean and fit.  One of the high school kids who ran 57 asked me my time.  I told him, then said I was 62 ys old, he said, "no f'n way!"  Was probably about 137.5 lbs at the race, you can see my leanness in my FinishLynx photo:



1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill. Your focus, commitment and persistence continue to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete