Sunday, August 30, 2020

Back to cross training

 The last 2 meets were probably 2 too many as I didn't increase my performance standards set in July and early Aug., was lucky I didn't get injured running less than 100%.  Should have knows that would be the case after Friday's light workout where I stopped in the middle of a 100m strider due to foot pain.  Mostly R foot hurting, and a general stiffness including L knee.   Time to shut it down in terms of running for a while, and hopefully look toward indoor season, which of course is questionable at this time.   I feel ok the day after and I'm recovering well.  I think the joint supplements help (collagen, hydrolonic acid, glucosamine.   I was still thankful to be able to compete. 

Near the start of the 100m - with the fast cats


















I think Alan was right when he said that my 400m training would give me the strength to run faster in all sprints, because as soon as I backed off on that, I failed to improve.   I could always be lighter and stronger, but would it translate to more speed?  You would think so, but not necessarily.  

PERSPECTIVE

When I told Randall of my marks this year, he said, 'I'd take those for 60.'  I guess I should.  My marks in all 3 sprints would have won Nationals last year, and medaled at Worlds.  My 400m time would have won Nationals every year for the past 5 years, and been in the top 3 or 4 in the world... and, I only raced one 400m this year.   I do feel robbed of what could have been 2 more National titles assuming indoor Nationals is cancelled.  

I still think I may try an off season race in Oxford, AL on Oct 31, maybe I'll run the 200m since my WL was just bumped to #2.   I've noticed a large number of new meet reports coming out of Europe, so ... it'll be interesting to see how I end up this season.   


INDOOR SEASON

Having Indoor Nationals at the Armory cancelled is a huge disappointment and it probably means no Indoor Nationals.  I think indoor season, which for me is the Crossplex and Vandy, will depend on local health Dept. guidelines.  I'm seriously doubting Vandy will take unattached.  The other option is Clemson, SC... which is a big DI program ... might also be hard to get into but an excellent track which I've never run on.  They usually only take elite unattached and there might be only one guy running slower than 52 in the 400m / 23 in the 200m.    Another option is Columbia, SC ... but that is even further.   210 miles from Atlanta, a good 3 hrs.   So far, neither of the SC programs have posted an indoor schedule, however, Vandy has, and the Crossplex has at least one meet scheduled.

So, it's back to the bike, swimming, and resistance... and of course, my job as a musician.  The school year has brought an increased opportunity to teach from home due to the pandemic so, going into the office just one day a week.  Now it's back to the constant battle to fight the normal sarcopenic atrophy of aging... but who wants to be normal?  Path of least resistance is for underachievers and the obese.   

Still at 142 lbs, hope to stay here. 



Just happy to participate with these young men in their 20s






 

No comments:

Post a Comment