Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Gym open, race video

 For the first time in 7 months I went to the gym in Sewanee Monday night.  If there ever was a gym that was safe during this pandemic, it's this one.  All Sewanee students are tested every 10 days and all the gym equipment was moved onto the center of the track and spread out so there are at least 10 feet between machines.  All machines are meticulously cleaned and everyone wears masks.  

I did 25 min stairmaster and a set of hip flexor machine.   Same morning I did a brief bike ride, and some upper body stuff.  I always jump on the pullup bar when I get out of bed, try to get 20 pullups but more often 18 or 19.  Gotta do something or I'll gain weight.   Still holding well below 145 avg daily weight. 

I can only go to the gym on Fri - Mon.   The stairmaster is alway a really good sweat.   I guess I sweat so much more on the stairmaster because I don't have the wind of running to evaporate and cool.  

Thinking about going swimming today in a bit.  It's much cooler now than it was last year at this time.  O
nly 80º right now and forecast to be 83º high.  A little cool for swimming but not many more days to swim.  Last year by contrast, Sept was the warmest month, with 19 days over 90º and the first 4 days in Oct over 90º (...the first 3 were over 95º !).  Nothing like that now.  It didn't reach 90º once in July, and only 3 times in Aug.

Overall, I'm recovering quite well.  Aches and pains just about gone.  May do once running workout a week on turf starting next week.  

Video.  

Not one of my fastest races, but happy that my body is in shape enough to race a 100m without fear of injury.   My reaction and first step is as good as fastest guys.  After the start, if you listen carefully one kid remarks to another, "He's 60."  The other kid watches the race and says "Sheeesh....sheeesh!"  Happy to race with these fine young men in their 20s.  Didn't occur to me til I saw the video I was the only white guy on the track through the whole meet.  



Did swim across the lake today.  Then a brief nap on my porch during a light shower, and thunder rumbles.  Nice life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment