Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Split 400s, bleacher hops

 Warm and calm at the Sewanee track, upper 70ºs.   I did some resistance yesterday and was a little sore in the quads, probably from the new exercise, bleacher hops.  

Did essentially 400m type training this evening, plus a little power.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches

3 x 100m strides, stretches, drills, bands, massage

'split 400' - 300m - 43.23 / 60 sec rest / 100m - 14.16

'split 400' - 300m - 42.83 / 60 sec rest / 100m - 14.69

5 x 6 double leg bleacher hops


I did the second split 400m with several min rest but not full... my heart rate was well over 120 bpm when I started the second set, and the last 100m really pushed my limit since the 2nd 300m was faster than the 1st.   Just getting that last 100m under 15 was brutal.  

I did the bleacher hops in rapid succession.  Another way to do them would be to pause in between each hop and gather myself for a maximum push on each instead of using the momentum of successive hops.  Successive hops are a better workout as my quads were noticeably sore. 

So that's essentially my main workout for the week if I intend on racing again this weekend.   Don't know if I should.  Hard to make gains racing every weekend but since I'm able, I think it would be ok to view it as just a workout and not to expect a faster time than last week.   If I didn't go to the meet this Sat. it would give me an opportunity to do a more substantial workout on Sat., but if it's just a 100/200, I may be able to resume workouts on Sunday as I did this week.  I'll again decide by Thurs., and plan to do a short speed and blocks workout then.  

This coming meet looks to be just as cool as last week.  Already some of the pros signed up include: 2019 World Champion Steven Gardiner from the Bahamas running the 400/200 (ran the 6th fastest 400 of all time last yr 43.48), USA World 4x4 Champion Michael Cherry also running the 400/200, Mikiah Brisco - USA 2020 indoor 60m champion - she has run 10.96.  And... you never know who might show.  Two weeks ago Wallace Spearman raced (under a different name 'Wally Wallace' or something).   There have apparently been a number of pros that have walked in on the day of the meet and raced, but not formally registered on line.  They come sometimes a long way.  Cedenio came from Orlando, Norwood from Baton Rouge, Kendziera from SC.  So for me, only 2+ hrs isn't a long trip.  I felt bad for these guys last week because the elite 400m race, there was a timing malfunction and they got called back after racing about 150m.   They ran it again 25 min later, but Norwood opted to drop out of the 400m and run the 200m (in 21.1).   

I continue to be light and fit.  139.9 lbs after workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment