Monday, July 4, 2011

Better but not good

Very light running workout today ... first in a week. Can still feel the ab strain ...but it's better.

Starting with a 400m jog, I could feel it every step, but after doing dynamic stretches and drills, it felt better.

In training shoes on the street:

400m warm up, stretches and drills

lunges

3 x 100m sprint jog

300m sprint jog

400m sprint jog up a hill

It hurts to run fast, so I can tell it will be days before a speed workout. The only warm up drill that hurts is single leg hops. Strangely, running stairs does not hurt, it's only the violent full stretch of sprinting that causes pain. I can't run comfortably faster than 50% sprint, but it's enough to get a good sweat going. I think by the end of the week I should be able to do 75% endurance workouts, maybe full speed by next week.

The nature of this injury is strange. My 'wheels' are fine. If I had to, I could race tomorrow with some moderate pain. I know there has been some improvement because 2 days ago I could not do a right lunge without significant pain. Today I did several with only slight pain.

I know exactly when this injury occured. It was my first 200 on 6/23, 2 days before the Birmingham meet - 11 days ago. It obviously didn't affect my performance much since I had a season best 12.26 100m. I must have really made it much worse with the Monday speed workout last week. I underestimated the injury.... but..it could be a lot worse.

I've had a week off and I'll be cautiously getting back to it this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment