Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday morning speed work 7/11/11


These are the hottest days of the year in Middle TN. So, in an effort to beat the heat, I was up at 4:13 am and on the Dean Hayes track at 4:40 am. It was still night time, completely dark, I looked at the thermometer, still 77ยบ and quite humid. Oh well, it won't be getting any cooler.

Today I ran fast long sprints at 85-95% effort with full recovery. The 400s, usually starting at 85% effort and finishing at 90-95%. I'm amazed how difficult just 6 sprints were today. I really had to convince myself to run that 3rd 400.

800m warmup, dynamic stretches, drills

spikes on

3 x 400m - 59, 60.5, 62

3 x 200m - 30.5, 28, 28


I sat down after the last 400 and tightened up a bit so I ran my first 200 cautiously.

I'm going to try to get 7 more good running workouts this season before the championship meets. I'm going to pair speed workouts followed by endurance workouts on consecutive days and resistance on non running days that may include stairs or plyos. I did some good lower body resistance yesterday. This high rep resistance I credit for keeping me relatively injury free these past few months. My ab issue I can still feel but it is fading and no longer significant. The hanging leg raises have been really helpful.
Tomorrow, I'll do more 400 repeats then decrease the distance and increase the speed on subsequent workouts.

In the Masters Track World.....

I've been enjoying watching the results of the World Masters Championship meet in Sacramento this week. I should have been at this meet. I may have been able to make the finals in some events.

The amazing 50 yr old Willie Gault won the M50 100m handily in 10.96 - fastest time in any age group. (Atlanta's Ken Eaton was his nearest competitor in 11.60). He could have won the world championship in the Mens 35, 40, and 45 age groups. Amazing... age 50. (...and he eats a vegetarian diet with occasional fish). He definitely looks not a day older than 30.


No comments:

Post a Comment