Saturday, July 16, 2011

The difference a day (off) makes


Up at 4:28 and on the Dean Hayes track at 4:55. It was 74º with a light breeze and cloudy, less humid than previous mornings, felt pretty good. Compared to Thursday in Sewanee, the whole workout felt good. It was supposed to be an endurance workout but it felt much easier than previous intervals. Maybe I gave myself too much rest.

800m warmup, stretches, drills

80% sprints:

6 x 300 - with 3 min rest in between: 48, 46, 46, 47, 47.5, 46.5

2 x 200 - with 200 walk in between: 28, 30

It only felt sickly hard on that last 300. The 200s I ran for form and relaxation. I left the workout at 5:50am feeling good.... not a sickly quivering mess like on Thursday where I ran almost half as much. However, there is a big difference between running at 80% like today, and 90% as I did Thurs. The day off made a huge difference. Yesterday, on my "day off" I still did a half mile jog, upper body, dynamic stretches and drills. Just enough to work up a sweat.

Weight is nominal: 139.2 I will be very careful about my diet these next 10 days. Sprinting is like drag racing .... and drag race cars have small gas tanks to keep weight to a minimum.

I may do a brief speed workout tomorrow.

In the Masters Track World ...

Michael Sullivan ran a sick time in the World meet M50 400 semis - 51.93. He's very close to the American record. I don't know what I was thinking... running the M50 400. For some reason, the M50 400 is THE most competitive sprint event at the world games... with 10 heats. TEN! More than any other age group.

I still kick myself for not entering the 100m at the Nationals. I just feel I might be able to spring one under 12 some day. I've seen masters athletes like Sullivan and Drummond improve from the previous year, despite being in their 40s or 50s. Already looking ahead to next season ... the Masters National Indoor meet will be within driving distance on Indiana U's beautiful super-X Mondo track with banked curves. I'll bet my times will improve from this past season ... if I don't get slovenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment