Sunday, July 24, 2011

TN State Finals report



After breaking the 13 yr old State Meet record in the M50 400m (56.09), and winning the 100m into a headwind (12.49), I'm pulling out of the 200m race today with sore abs. I could probably run it in slight pain and easily win, but I have more important business at the Nationals in just four days. If this were the last meet of the season, I'd do it, no hesitation, but when it hurts to get up out of bed and do lunges, that is my criteria for cancelling.

(photo - coming down the stretch in the 400m, 40m ahead of my competition).

I was not satisfied with my performance in the 400. In my last 40 meters, my pace had decayed to almost to a jog. I need to gut it out a bit more and stride. Maybe some competition will help. I won my race by about 40m. Disappointed that I didn't get under 56, let alone 55, but even this relatively weak performance would have made the National Finals just about every year, and even worthy of a medal in 2 of the past 5. Not this year however. I'll be running against the World Champion and some former medalists.

I missed the 100m record (12.32) by 0.17 sec. The old record was hand-timed, so not really a fair comparison. My backup timers hand timed me in 12.19. My electronic time was 12.49 into a headwind. I won the race by about a second.

Anyway, my 'wheels' are fine, no quad or ham issues. But, with this ab strain, I will not be able to get a meaningful workout in before the Nationals. I might try some jogging and drills on Tues, and some swimming.

I hope it works out that I can get this 200m record next year. The old record of 25.7 would be easy to get. I ran 25.34 in my last 200m. It's hard to pass up this opportunity. I almost feel like I shoud go and warm up and then make a decision. Na, better not. It hurts.

I definitely have my race body on, weighing just 136.4 this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment