Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sprints on the mountain



I was looking forward to training up here on the Cumberland Plateau in Sewanee, TN at the University of the South's Coughlan Track. It was about 70 and much less humid than it was earlier in the week at MTSU. After a poor night of sleep, just a few hours, I was up at 4:30 and at the track at 4:45. It was still dark and I was surprised to see an elderly woman walking on the track. The sight of a shirtless guy in tights coming on to the track scared her away quickly and I was happy to have the track to myself.

Without the benefit of my usual morning hot tub, I did an extended warmup, since this would be a speed workout today. 90% effort 300s, and 200s with recovery.

1200m warmup, dynamic stretches and drill.

100m strider

spikes on

100m strider

sprints at 90% effort:

2 x 300m - 43, 44

3 x 200m - 28, 27, 27

100m strider on the curve

It was not a great work out. I felt I should have done more and I seemed to fatigue sooner than usual. I was going to do one more 200 but my ab started hurting and I backed off. I don't think I'm over training. Yesterday late afternoon, although I didn't do a track workout, I did a jog, my usual warmup drills followed by a good resistance workout, plyometric leaps, and lunges with weight. Maybe that combined with a poor nights sleep limited my workout today.

Contemplating what I should do tomorrow for endurance. Maybe some 500s?

My weight is good, 138.6



No comments:

Post a Comment