Friday, July 8, 2011

Dark and early 7/8/11, endurance intervals


I'm officially back in full force and next workout, I'll be ready to run fast. Today, an endurance interval workout, and then some.

Up at 4:40am, I saw an approaching storm front was coming, so I got to the track by 5:05, well before sunrise. The sky in the west looked ominous, it was 72ยบ, humid but a breeze was blowing.



This was Bill's Birthday Ballbuster:

800m warmup, dynamic stretches, drills

spikes on

sprints at 75% with 2 min rest in between

4 x 400m - 68, 67, 72, 76

5 min rest

sprints at 80-85% with 5 min rest between

400m - 65

2 x 200m - 29, 28

Before I started the last 400 in the first set, I was still breathing pretty hard. It was a hard last 200. The slow pace of these intervals, while exhausting, wasn't very satisfying so I rested 5 min and did a faster set. I was done with these 2400m of sprints before 6:00 am.

The ab issue is diappearing. I got my hanging ab straps and doing leg lifts actually makes my abs feel better. I wish I had gotten these at the beginning of the season.

After 3 good workouts in 3 days, it's time for a day off tomorrow. I don't seem to be be sore from the stadium stairs yesterday, maybe just a little tight in the calves.

The weight gain from the week off is coming down, 140.6 after workout.

I'll be doing resistance Sun, speed work Mon. That's the plan for now.

I'm going to enjoy this rainy morning...


3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the comments on my blog yesterday William (they were thoughtful and very helpful)!

    2 quick questions based on a comment you made about running a hard 200m and trusting your training to bring you home:

    1) What are your 200m splits in a 400m race situation?
    2) How slow do you have to run your first 200m for you to be able to hold that exact pace for a second 200m - not sure if you have tried to do this before?

    All the best,

    ...Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, the 400m race is a sprint. (If your heals touch the ground, you're not sprinting). For me, the power and acceleration generated from the blocks and on that first curve must always be 100%. I feel I need to 'use it of lose it.' You will always be fatigued in the last 100m. It feels like running in lead boots while someone is punching you in the stomach. This is the part of the race I think I can improve on the most with training. Increasing the full out speed of the first 200 is more difficult and incremental, having more to do with natural speed. I run the first 200 in comparable times as I would for a 200m race. As a result, my splits are lopsided, something like 25 and 30. What I'm saying is that just because you hold back a little on the first 200, doesn't mean that you'll have it in the end, because you'll still be fatigued no matter what. I go hard the whole way. There is NO way I will ever run even splits, especially if I want to run under 55. I need that first 200 to be close to 25.

    I've heard some say, go 100% for 150m, 'float' into the final turn and then back to 100% midway through the final turn. That seems like a popular strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks William. By the way, the question about even splits was purely a curiosity question, not a comment about race strategy.

    ReplyDelete