Monday, May 1, 2023

Time off


Totally sedentary for 3+ days and it feels weird.  Have gained weight, enjoyed being comfortable and hanging on my porch by the fire on these breezy unseasonably cool days.   Finishing up my grading and school work.   I'll be completely done on Wed night.  

It would be easy to feel entitled to the comfort I've been enjoying, sedentary days, eating comfort food like tea and toast, following the path of least resistance.  It has set me back.  But it has also allowed some healing.   My foot and groin pain are much better.   I'm hoping to do my first track workout tomorrow, first running since Penn Relays on Thurs.  Bummed that I won't be in any more college meets this season.   Probably won't be race ready for at least a month or so.  This entitlement to comfort is dangerous, and the decline is cumulative.   At my age, fitness goes away so quickly, it's frightening.  At least I have the mechanism in my brain to snap back.  Can't imagine what months or years of living like this would do to me.  I would age quickly and die sooner, no doubt.  I'm about 144 - 145 lbs right now.  

Anyway, after real disappointments in the World 400m final, and the Penn 100m, and the pain after 3 races on Thurs, I really was feeling like I'm not getting out of it what I'm putting into it.  I've been training since freaking Aug!  I need a more balanced approach in my training.  Maybe more strength work, more speed work, and not giving up on my 400m speed endurance training.  Back in late summer '20, my first meets after knee surgery, my first race was a 400m in 57.49 and it turned out to be a WL in that limited covid season.  I then ran a 100m in 12.71.  I decided to try work on my 100m speed exclusively and it didn't get better.  So, I do think 400m training helps my overall strength and speed, to a point.  But I need to work on fast twitch because it's diminishing. 

Anyway, I'll be back.  It's about the journey.  But, I feel like I'm beginning again instead of building on all the work I've done.




No comments:

Post a Comment