Tuesday, May 2, 2023

back on track. 2x300m

After 4 days off, back on the track today.  It was good to be back.  Low 60ºs and windy today, bright sun.  Really cool for this time of year.  This weather pattern is supposed to continue until Thurs then abruptly change to warmer and wetter for the foreseeable future.

My groin and foot soreness was better, but still not 100%.  Good enough to get a brief workout in.  Didn't want to do too much today and reinjure.  Also, have gained a lot of weight.  Woke up at nearly 147 lbs.  Probably due to a bread binge.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100, bands

100m stride ~ 15

2 x 300m - 43.87 (13.69,14.74,15.44), 43.87 (13.78, 14.63, 15.46)

Yes, that's right ... two 300s exactly the same time.  Pretty rare but I've seen it before.  I had to look at the splits to make sure my watch was reset and functioning.  These were about 60-61 400m pace and I did them with 12-15 min rest, not full rest.  My pulse was still pushing 130 when I started #2.  

I'm going to get back on it Thursday and maybe... just maybe get it together and run in the Emory college meet 2 weeks from today.  I need to get my speed endurance happening and lose some freaking weight.  Was 145.0 lbs after workout.  Heaviest in months.  

I'm usually no more than a week or 10 days away from snapping back to race weight.  That is due to my conscience about diet.  I know when I'm cheating, and I know that it is not sustainable as an athlete.  If I were to continue the carb/ bread binge for more than a week, it would accumulate and be even harder to get back, especially if taking a break and sedentary.  I can only imagine if that were my consistent lifestyle over the months and years.  I would easily be 180 lbs.   That would be the path of least resistance and a priority on comfort.   I spoke to my brother today, his weight fluctuates hugely.  He said he weighs in the 190s.  That would be like me about 175, or 30 lbs heavier.   I'm really the only person in my family who seems to really care about diet.  I just find it astonishing that people eat food and never read about or care about the ingredients that make up what they're eating, never read nutrition labels, and apparently don't even understand them or care.  I've tried unsuccessfully to help them, but these binges I go through give me insight into their issues.  There are certain foods that I just love and will eat them even if I'm not real hungry because of the taste and texture.  But for now, its back to chicken breast, raw broccoli ... but I have my protein ice cream.  Nice to be able to eat ice cream and not consume massive amounts of fat and calories ... thanks to the Ninja Creami.   Coffee/ Cappuccino is a staple and a definite food group... low cal food and a hunger suppressant.  

Back to the track on Thurs.  Maybe I'll try a tempo workout.   




7 comments:

  1. I get it about diet. Breakfast Soynuts/oats skim milk and berries. Lunch fatty fish (salmon or sardines) hulled barley with walnut oil handful of almonds, squash, kale and tomatoes. Mid afternoon snack tofu and citrus. Dinner variable but generally lots of fresh vegetables, low GI carbs (if carbs) and chicken or fish. Sometimes lentil stew or split pea or something like that. Waking up at 154 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wife must prepare all this or you're retired. My diet is not as diverse

      Delete
    2. Amy has become an amazing cook producing a wide variety of very healthy tasty dinners - I may go weeks, sometimes a month, not eating the same dinner twice. Every now and then though she makes something that bombs out but we don’t have it again obviously. Breakfast and lunch I make myself. I make a big batch of soy nuts weekly and cook up several servings of barley at a time. Lunch veggies aren’t fresh typically frozen. I’m not adverse to canned pumpkin either. Typically have a green, yellow and red vegetable every lunch. Always blueberries and strawberries with breakfast. But it does take me some time to get my lunch together for work. I’ve worked there now 9 years and can count the times I’ve eaten cafeteria food on one hand. Retiring in November.

      Delete
    3. More should be move

      Delete
    4. One thing I've found, people respond differently to dietary fat, it affects some more than others. If affects me a lot more than most. Probably genetics. So, blanket statements about what fat is adverse/protective for heart disease don't apply to everyone.

      Delete
    5. Depends on the fat. Fats are loosely grouped into unsaturated, monosaturated and saturated categories. But within those catagories there are a variety of fat types. Cheddar cheese is high in a type of saturated fat with 18 carbon atoms which is metabolized differently. It really is well studied, both mechanistically and with population studies. Obviously won’t harm you to avoid it. There are many complex interactions with fats they are just starting to figure out. For instance, poly unsaturated fats are a bad mix with alcohol for your liver as in combination it increases liver inflammation. But saturated fats plus alcohol reduces the inflammation effects of alcohol. In some studies so striking the researchers say saturated fats should be a treatment plan for early stage alcoholic liver disease. In general though avoid saturated fats. Nuts are very fatty but are mono or poly unsaturated. Olive oil is mono saturated. Both have demonstrated health benefits.

      Delete
    6. BTW, I did note your experiment sometime back with eggs and cholesterol. There is a known phenomenon that some are dietary cholesterol sensitive and that set of people should avoid consuming cholesterol. I forget the mechanism. But there is only 29 milligrams of cholesterol in one ounce of cheddar cheese vs the 1250 mg you were consuming with 6 eggs daily so I don’t think probably isn’t an issue for cholesterol sensitive people to eat some cheddar cheese. But the results for cheddar cheese don’t apply to all cheese groups as they all have different ratios of carbon atom saturated fats. Butter for instance is a known proven bad for CVD. Both in population studies and mechanism studies.

      Delete