Tuesday, May 30, 2023

3x300 tempo, 100s, brace trial

At Marist track on a beautiful Tues evening, mid 70ºs, sunny, dry, light winds.  A 300m tempo set but not too fast.  It's been 11 days since my ham strain and I did it doing this same workout, so cautious.  

I also brought with me the home made foot brace I made for a trial, which I tried briefly after my workout.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 100m

100m - 15.26

3x300m w/ 3 min rest - 48.74, 49.41, 52.80  (50.31 avg)

with brace: 50m, 100m - 14.96

(brace off)

4x100m on turf w/ 30 sec rest - avg ~ 16.5

I was pretty cautious on the last 300, remembering that's when I previously tweaked the ham.  I feel only very slight soreness when I dig the massage gun into the area, but it feels fine when running at these submaximal speeds.  Again, won't know if it's truly healed til I run fast.  

After the 300m set, my foot was hurting, so I put the foot brace on to give it a try.  It was an interesting experience.  It was a bit weird to be able to run so high on that toe with no effort or pain.  At first the brace was really stiff but it eventually folded / creased at the stress point, but still offered some support.  I actually ran my fastest 100m of the day with it on.  Even more interestingly, after taking the brace off, the foot felt markedly better, so much better I did a brief tempo set of 100s on the turf.   The concept works, I just need the right materials.  This one was made with a Sam Splint (padded aluminum) and a piece of molded thermoplastic, not tough enough with the right amount of flex. I can envision a piece of carbon fiber, padded with neoprene.  

Anyway, my weight is coming down but I don't have an exact reading.  Since I'm not weighing myself after workout.  I estimate about 141.  

This is what the brace looks like after use and tape removed.  You can see where it was creased at the stress point.  Overall, it was not uncomfortable and did the job.  


 

  


1 comment:

  1. Would there be any rule infraction should you decide to wear it in a race?

    ReplyDelete