Saturday, May 13, 2023

3x300 tempo

Lovely day, quiet at the track, 77º and calm winds, sunny.   Late in the afternoon my warmup area is completely shaded and by 6pm, nearly 50% of the track is in the shade.  School is over and I have the place to myself.

Was really happy to get in this cautious tempo set.  Straining a ham just 5 days ago, I wasn't ready to run anywhere near race pace, so I'm happy to get back on the track without injury.  I think my off day resistance is helping.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drill, bands, 2x100

100m - 16.78

3x300m w/ 3min res - 51.78, 50.78, 50.71

2x35m sled pushes

I was really cautious, after the 2 warmup runs, I tried a 100m to test it.  Felt ok.  Just need to keep my feet under me and run no faster than 16.5 / 100m pace and I can get a workout in.  And it was hard.  I'm really in bad shape compared to 2 months ago.  After the 3rd 300, my heart rate was well over 160 even 4 min after.  No way could I get a 4th.  Maybe when I'm healed and lose this weight.  I'm tired of being heavier than optimum.  I've said it a million times, but the last 5 lbs are the hardest.  It's going to take some real dietary austerity.  

My day is like this:  wake up 8 am weight - 145.4 lbs.  Work around the house and do odd jobs and drink lots of coffee and milk but no food.  Get ready to go work out at 4:45 pm weight - 143.4 lbs.  Get back from the track about 6:30 - weight 142.4 lbs.  So when I post my weight after a workout, it usually is the daily low.  I should be ranging from 142 to 138.  It's really noticeable, not in my appearance, but in my speed and endurance.  I had that race I was going to do on Wed but after the injury I got less motivated to get lean.  But now that I'm recovering from the injury, it's time.  

Dinner was 2 tins of herring, raw broccoli, protein ice cream.  Watermelon for a snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment