Sunday, January 21, 2018

speed

Incredible winter weather at the Marist School, mid 60ºs sunny, warm, calm wind.  Shirtless weather.  One side of the track was sunny and dry, felt even hot, the shady side was wet with melting piles of ice.   I started with short sprints, first one 90%, the last 3 full out.  4 x 50m.  I set my timer to stop watch and held it in my hand instead of the usual beeping timer (on my waist) to see exactly how fast I was running.  Surprising.

Hoka trainers on 
400m warm up, stretches, drills  
2 x 50m w/ 3 step flying start - 8.09, 6.18 
2 x 50m from 3 pt stance - 6.46, 6.56 
150m - 19.5 (100m turn, 50m straight)
200m / rest 1 min / 100m - 27, 14

Considering my PR 55m is 7.23, a race I rarely run, I was running these 50's pretty fast.  The second one was with a 3 step running start, the last 2 were from 3 pt with the watch starting as my hand left the ground.  6.46, add .23 for reaction, .74 for 5m, that's equivalent to about 7.43 without spikes for a 55m, which is probably near PR pace, assuming -0.2 for blocks and spikes.

The rest of the times were approximate as I returned to beep pacing.  After the 150m, running the turn aggressively, first 100 in 13ish on the turn, my left foot started hurting, the plantar issue.  I took a break and tried a compression wrap, didn't help.  So, I just walked, stretched and rested before doing one last split 300m at a good clip.

Kind of a bummer.  Not being able to put the volume in.  Especially, with great weather for training coming up, sunny and 50ºs all week.  Racing is no problem, just one 400m doesn't cause too much lasting pain.  Might be a bit taxing to do 2 races in a day but this heel pain can come on quickly and go away quickly.  Usually just taking the shoe off, some massage, elevate and the pain is better, not gone but tolerable.  I walked a lot around town after my workout and the foot really hurt but by the morning, it'll be fine.  I'll be back on the track Tues.   Probably do a tempo workout, probably no more than 1000m.

I expect to race the next 3 weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment