Sunday, January 7, 2018

Award, Millrose

As a member of the Greater Philadelphia Track Club, I'm a member of the Mid-Atlantic USATF Association.  Yesterday, I got an email from Ed Richardson of the  Mid-Atlantic USATF Association's 'High Performance Committee' informing me I had won one of 4 'Masters Athlete of the Year Awards.'

Here are the award winners,
Mid-Atlantic USATF Association 2017: 
Open Track and Field Athlete of the Year:
 - Gianni Lawrence
 - Adjee Wilson  
Masters Track & Field Athlete of the Year:
 - Bill Yelverton (M55)
 - Lorraine Jasper (W55)
 - Ray Feick (M85)
 - Gloria Krug (W85)

Masters Club of the Year:
 - Greater Philadelphia Track Club  
Coach of the Year: - Derek Thompson

Some familiar names here, Jasper and Krug both won USATF Athlete of the Year.  W85 Krug was inducted into the Masters Hall of Fame, won SEVEN world championships in Daegu, all the throwing events plus the LJ and Triple Jump.  Jasper set an American Record this year in the W55 400m.  M85 Ray Feick won a Silver in Daegu in the Javelin.  So, in good company.  Happy to see GPTC win as well.

I wonder who is Adjee Wilson, an open division award winner?  (Could it be the world class women's 800m runner, Ajee Wilson?  Probably not.  But if so, nice to have my name on the same page).


Millrose

I was told that the M40 and M50 4x400m heats will be combined at the Millrose.  Since I'm going up there to run just the one race, and I have foot troubles as it is, and my last indoor meet before Nationals is the following weekend ...  I might have passed on this opportunity if I had known.   Also, I'm skipping a possible work responsibility to be there (a University audition day).  It's hard enough as a nearly 58 yr old, to race the real fast M50 guys from SWS, but now having to race guys young enough to be my son, is not what I was hoping for.  I'll be one of the oldest guys in that race.  But, hopefully I'll be healthy, and my dad will come and get to see the Amory track and field museum and one of the great traditions in T&F.


3 comments:

  1. Congrats Bill, you deserve it. Yes, Ajee Wilson is Mid Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your doing Millrose even with the 40's. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for my bitching about Millrose, Chuck. I remember last yr the M60 guys ran with us. We'll be M60 soon enough.

    ReplyDelete