Tuesday, January 9, 2018

400m / 100s

Warmer today, 49º in Sewanee but with an intermittent wind blowing up the home straight.  I've been a bit sore from the near full speed short sprints I was doing on Monday.   Feel it in my quads.  So, I did a very light one set weight workout yesterday.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 50m striders 
400m - 59 (28.5, 30.5) / rest 90 sec / 100m - 15.5 
3 x 100m w/ 30 sec rest on grass  ~15 - 15.5
I set my timer for goal splits of 14,15,15,15.   My actual splits were approx 14, 14.5, 15.2, 15.3.   I ran the first 200m easy, and the last 200m with much more effort, and into a wind.  If I can cut 2 sec off my first 200m, I think I can run under 58 since today, I was running with training shoes on a wet track.  (Per usual, I take a 2 or 3 step running start when not using blocks).

The fact that I've been sore after working on my short game ... 50s - 150s with full acceleration, tells me that I need more work in this area.  It may also have been THE missing piece of my training at the end of the season, as I was really fixated on speed endurance.  Might explain my lack of progress.  The high intensity stuff is also harder on my feet.  Feeling the plantar issue a bit more today.  Need to stay away from the spikes.

Looking back to 2015 at the week I ran my PR 55.11 at Vandy, I was doing low volume that week, 700-900m workouts.  Maybe less is more.

After perseverance, my weight is almost to optimum.  144.3 after workout.  I should be good by Sat.

Going to eat a little carb, some blueberries, and curcumin (tumeric), and a NSAID.  If my soreness goes away, I may go out again tomorrow for a light shake out workout.  It's supposed to be mid 50ºs next 2 days although windy with a chance of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment