Sunday, July 23, 2017

Same good stuff

Much cooler tonight in Sewanee, in the upper 70ºs with a breeze instead of the upper 80ºs.   I really think this workout is just what I need.   I've done this workout now 3 times and it's gotten a tad faster and feels a little easier, except for the hills.  So, 3 days on the track, 3 days on the weights.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 50m striders 
500m - 75.2 (59.5, 15.7) 
'split 500m' - 300m - 41.8 / 1 min rest / 100m - 14.5 / 1 min rest / 100m - 14.3 
2 x 200m hill sprints - 40, 43 
100m hill sprint - 17.5

Again, fastest 500m I've run in trainers....   I wanted to deliberately push it to the 'rig point' but It wasn't bad.  My last 100m, was under 16 and I caught myself tensing up a bit and corrected.   Mission accomplished.  Maybe when I do it again, I'll try to break 75, maybe with spikes.  The 'split 500' wasn't as desperately tiring as the first or second time I had done it.  It was very hard but not nauseating.  What was really hard were the hill sprints I did afterward.   The second one kind of felt like reaching the maximum number of reps you can do on a machine and failing.   I barely made it, jogging the last 10m.   But, after a several minute rest, I ended with a 100m hill sprint that felt pretty powerful considering what I had done before.

I think this is the ticket.  Beating myself up with high volume limited rest intervals I don't think is the best bang for the buck right now.  What I need is power and technique.  The speed will come.

I will be away from Sewanee for 5 days but will be able to train.   I may get up early and do weights since I will be with out them for 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment